Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 19 Lenten Devotion

April 19

Mark 11:20-25

The Power of Prayer



Jesus said, "So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

God answers our prayers!  A simple statement, but one that, at times, can be a bit difficult to believe.  We don't always get what we want.  Things don't work out the way we wanted.  Disappointment, failure and loss are part of life.  We can pray fervently for something and we don't receive it.  So is God really answering our prayers?

If we trust God's wisdom, then the answer is yes!  What we want and pray for may not be what we really need.  In looking back at major disappointments, in hindsight, I now understand that if things had worked out "my way", it would have been a huge mistake or worse. 

My mother passed away about a year and a half ago.  She suffered from Alzheimer's and other health problems.  I prayed for her healing, but understood that a miracle cure was very unlikely.  As her daughter and caregiver, I had to make very difficult decisions.  I prayed for guidance, for strength and courage.  God answered my prayers!  When there were difficult medical decisions to be made, the nurse practitioner at the nursing home provided me with information and advice, so I was able to make the decisions that in my heart, I knew were right.  God gave me the strength and courage to get through this most difficult journey. 

My mother-in-law also lived in the same nursing home and suffered from Alzheimer's.  I wrote and self-published a book about our family's journey, in the hope of helping other families with a loved one who has Alzheimer's.  In writing the book, I came to better understand how God did answer my prayers.  In the midst of the darkness, there was joy and laughter, light and healing.

Dear Lord, may we trust in your wisdom, knowing that you do answer our prayers. May we be grateful for all of your abundant blessings. Amen.



Riina Van Rixoort
First Presbyterian Church | 883 Highway 34 | Matawan | NJ | 07747

No comments:

Post a Comment